Sunday, February 6, 2011
Hot Dog Casserole
So one night my wife and I were relaxing on the couch enjoying some TV time. Because it's around Super Bowl time a hot dog commercial comes on. That is the moment we realize something epic. We like hog dogs. NO! WE LOVE chili dogs, even better grilled onion hot dogs. How about with fries or some potato crispiness to go with it too!? This leads me to thinking, how awesome it would be to have this hot dog, chili cheese, potato, baked goodness as a casserole? I plot. I plan. I rush to the store the next day to create this glorious dish that kids & true kids at heart will love too. Enjoy!
Hot Dogs & Buns
Tater tots or Hash Browns
4 cups Cheddar Cheese
1. Heat oven to 400
2. Bake your tots first & reserve.
3. In a small pot heat your rotel and chile
4. Stir in 2 cups of cheese and set pot to low.
5. Slice onions and caramelize in a saute pan.
6. Add the hot dogs to the onions until just brown on the outside.
7. Line a small with all hot dog buns ( You want them to fit snug in the pan.)
Line the buns with the 1 cup of cheese
Add the onions & wieners
Layer half of the chile on top
Layer your tots over the whole dish pressing it down on the hot dogs to make almost a crust.
Pour the remaining chile over the top.
Bake for 15 minutes then top with remaining shredded cheese.
Return to oven until cheese is melted and golden brown.