Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mac Daddy & Cheese


Sundays are my days to cook up some good food and relax with my wife. With our little one on the way it is time for me to brush up on some family meals that will work for the adults and for the kids.

As a child mac n cheese was my favorite. Yeah it came from a box and the cheese was powdered but I loved it anyway. If we got velveeta I was too the moon. Needles to say times have changed and so has my mac n cheese. Here is how I get it done.




Makes 8 servings

1 1/2 cups Gruyere cheese
1 1/2 cups Vermont cheddar
1 1/2 cups Pepper Gouda
5 tbsp butter
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp thyme
3/4 dried basil
4 cups milk
1 lb penne pasta or elbow pasta
1 lb Chicken cut in cubes
4 Roma tomatoes diced
Chives for garnish

Melt your butter in a hot pan and add in flour to make a blond roux.
Slowly stir in your milk not too fast or it will lump. Stir in thyme & basil.
Simmer till it is just hick enough to coat the back of the spoon. Thick but not stiff.
Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese. Set aside.
Season & cook your chicken.
Add in tomatoes.
Drain and add your cooked pasta.
Pour cheese mixture over everything and stir till coated.
Adjust seasoning and serve.

If you want a little bit of crunch you can top with bread crumbs & brown in the oven.






No comments:

Post a Comment